Issues to Consider
- Identification: Who are these children? Have they arrived already reading independently?
- Challenge: How can we help our gifted readers become more discerning readers?
- Interaction: How can these children share their reading with others?
- Goals:Ensure we are setting realistic goals for these children.
- Reading skills: Are we teaching to read smartly, utilising features of text and to understand deeper concepts of print?
- Problems: Do we recognise that some of our gifted students may have reading problems and respond to these accordingly.
Brooke Trenwith from Cognition Education has provided these links to resources that primary schools are using to extend their gifted students.
A magazine created by kids for kids
Resources to consider for purchase
Gail Loane's Book, 'I've Got Something to Say'.
Resources to UseSearch for Sandra Kaplan's 'Depth and Complexity Framework', via Google and you will find many examples that others have created that you might modify.
Experts to Contact
Robert Seney's reading lists and literacy tips are worth a look